Natural Gas Industry
The natural gas industry consists of a variety of entities with differing functions. Following is a simplified listing of the types of companies that constitute the makeup of the natural gas industry:
- These are the owners and developers of natural gas wells. They can range from giant corporations to one or two person well owners.
- Processing corporations are comparable to refinery companies in the oil industry. They separate the natural gas taken from earth into its marketable components, mostly methane.
- Pipeline companies transport processed natural gas to locales where it can be stored and later marketed.
- Storage operators own and control numerous underground storage facilities for natural gas. The gas is stored for later marketing and, in some cases, as safeguards to be used in emergencies.
- Marketing companies facilitate connections between those entities in the industry that produce, process, transport and store natural gas and the retailers and end users who purchase the final, delivered products.
- Local Distribution Companies (LDC)
- LDC's bring natural gas to the end users via local pipelines.